Saturday, May 3, 2014

Turkey Salad Lettuce Wraps

This turned out so yummy!!  I've been preparing for it in little steps during the week.  First, we had turkey and roasted vegetables for dinner on Tuesday.  On Wednesday we got celery in our basket from the produce co-op, and that put me in mind of chicken, er turkey, salad.  

So one day I made the home-made mayonnaise I found here.  But I didn't hand whisk it.  I used the whisk on my hand held mixer.

I also made a super simple cranberry sauce by dumping a bag of frozen cranberries (rinsed) in a pan, adding some water (not quite enough to cover, but they floated so it was hard to tell) and cooking it until they broke apart and the sauce got thick.  Then I added honey to taste.  It took more than I thought it would, but I'll only be using it as a condiment, not sitting down to a bowlful, so I figure it'll be okay. :-)

I also soaked and dehydrated some walnuts, which I read about here.  The idea is that it makes the nuts easier to digest.  (Don't get feeling overwhelmed.  You stick 'em in some water and come back seven hours later, drain, stick 'em in the dehydrator and come back tomorrow - not a labor intensive process. ;-) )

So this morning (yes, I had it for breakfast) I chopped up a celery stalk from the middle of the bunch, a green onion, some of my dehydrated walnuts, and some leftover turkey.  I stirred in just enough mayo to make it come together, along with a little salt and red pepper.  Turkey salad in a couple of romaine leaves, a little cranberry sauce on top - it was so yummy!!

I used to really not care for leftover turkey, but this changed my mind. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment